A Guide on How -To upcycle furniture the easy way
Are you looking to give your old furniture a new lease on life? Or maybe you’re just starting out and don’t want to spend a fortune on new pieces. Upcycling your furniture is a great way to save money and add some personality to your home. But it can also be daunting, especially if you’re not sure where to start. That’s where this guide comes in! We show you how to easily transform an old piece of furniture with just a few simple steps. So whether you’re looking for a new coffee table or want to revamp your bedroom, keep reading for some inspiration.
What is upcycling and why should you do it
Upcycling is the process of taking an old or used item and transforming it into something new and unique. Furniture painters and crafters often use upcycling as a way to breathe new life into tired or outdated furniture. Not only is upcycling a great way to give old furniture a new lease on life, but it’s also a great way to add your personal touch to your home. One of the best things about upcycling is that anyone can do it! Whether you’re a furniture painting beginner or a seasoned DIY’er, upcycling is a great way to unleash your creativity and make your house a home. Plus, upcycling is a great way to recycle the things you love. Rather than getting rid of an old piece of furniture, why not upcycle it into something new and amazing?
There are tons of benefits to upcycling, but here are just a few:
- By saving furniture from landfills, we can help to reduce pollution and conserve our natural resources. It’s easy to do, and everyone can make a difference. The next time you’re about to throw something away, think twice. Is there a way you can reuse or recycle it? By making this small change in your daily routine, you can help to make a big impact.
- Reduce your impact on the environment by choosing furniture made from upcycled materials. These pieces often have more personality and character than mass-produced items, and they help keep resources out of landfills. Shop for recycled furniture at thrift stores, online resale sites, and artisanal furniture shops.
- We celebrate craftsmanship by using good quality old furniture that we recycle. We believe that every piece of furniture has a story, and we’re committed to giving each one a second life. Your home is the ultimate reflection of you so why not upcycle and infuse your personality into your home.
- Upcycling furniture is not only good for the environment, but it can also help you de-stress. What’s better than being creative? What have we here is an opportunity that is both healthy AND environmentally friendly.
The basics of upcycling furniture – what you need and how to get started
Deciding to upcycle furniture is a great way to give new life to an old piece and save some money in the process. But where do you start? Here are the basics of furniture upcycling to get you started.
Some tools you will need:
- An old piece of furniture
- Cleaner – to remove dirt, oils, and grime from your furniture.
- Sandpaper- it is always best to lightly sand the piece of furniture before painting. This helps with adhesion so your paint job will last!
- Paintbrush – A good quality brush will help the paint go on and give you a smooth application.
- Paint – Choose the right paint for your project! there are so many on the market but we recommend Le Magic paint and Dixie Belle paint for furniture upcycling.
- Top Coat – Not all paints need sealing, but if you add embellishments or faux finishes you will want to seal in all your hard work.
How to paint furniture for a fresh look
Painting furniture is a great way to give old pieces new life. And it’s not just for experts – even beginners can achieve great results with a little bit of prep work and the right furniture paint. Here’s what you need to know to get started. First, clean and lightly sand your furniture pieces to ensure good adhesion. Then, grab a brush and some water-based furniture paint and get creative! Furniture paints come in all sorts of colours and styles, so you can let your personality shine through. And because they come in sizes suitable for a good couple of projects, there’s less waste. Usually, two coats of paint are all you need. Just allow a few hours of dry time in between coats. And that’s it! You’re now the proud owner of upcycled furniture that looks great and expresses your unique style.
This upcycled mannequin lamp is a true upcycled cinderella story! That lampshade was destined for landfill and the mannequin too! The WoodUbend team saved both by upcycling them using Le Magic paint, Posh Chalk Stony Fern Decoupage paper, and Posh Chalk smooth metallic pastes in a few colours including Dark Green, Yellow Cadmium, White Titanium, Green Fthalo and White Gold. WoodUbend moulding trim TR710 TR700 TR50A was added and mouldings 1213 & 2095 to complete this upcycle. You have to admit it now makes quite the statement and will be used for many years.
A simple kitchen stool makeover from dull and brown to classy and unique! You can watch the entire makeover on our Facebook page. Mihai used Chat Noir Decoupage paper and Posh Chalk Metallic paste! Watch the video and see how easy it is to upcycle a stool.
Easy furniture upcycle.
This beautiful desk needed a makeover and using WoodUbend and Posh Chalk products Mihai transformed it into this amazing masterpiece! You can do this too! just follow along on our Facebook, Instagram, YouTube or TikTok to get tips tricks and tutorials to start your upcycling furniture journey.
@woodubend #dressermakeover with #woodubendmoudlings #poshchalkpigments #magicpaint #poshchalkdecoupage #diyhomedecor #furnitureflip #flippingfurniture #sollyjocreations #upcyclingfurniture #chalkpaintedfurniture ♬ Café DAmour – Kris Karlsson
We hope this has inspired you to start your upcycled furniture journey. Let us know in the comments if you liked any of these projects and tag us on social @woodubend so we can see your creative projects!